Preserve connections when deleting parts

Discussion on the Schematic Capture module of the Proteus Design Suite.
SparkyChris
Unlicenced User

Preserve connections when deleting parts

Post by SparkyChris »

Hi,

New user here :-)

Is there a setting somewhere that stops connections being deleted when a part is deleted on a schematic?

Thanks,
Chris
David
Site Admin

Re: Preserve connections when deleting parts

Post by David »

Hi Chris,

You can add junction dots on to the end of the pins then delete the part. Or you can replace a component by lining up the pin 1 of the new (ghost view) component over pin 1 of the to be replaced component. Otherwise, no as why would you want to leave loose wires if you weren't adding a new component?

Kind regards,
Dave.
SparkyChris
Unlicenced User

Post by SparkyChris »

Hi Dave,

That is the point; I was swapping out a component for one with the same pin out etc, and therefore wanted the connections to stay put while I dropped the new part in.
Sounds like the ghost view you mentioned is what i'm looking for.

Other packages I've used either don't remove the connections when a component is deleted, or, there is a selectable option to have it either way.
There are always going to be situations where a component (possibly with a high pin count) needs to be replaced with another component, and maybe the new component does not have an identical symbol/pin arrangement. In these situations having the connections remain where they are is desirable.

Thanks for your response,
Chris
Ettore
Labcenter Staff

Post by Ettore »

Other packages (like PADS) make a terrible mess in such the circumstances at the point they leave tons of loose wires getting you screatching your head when it comes to connect them when replacing new parts. I worked for years with some of them and that the reason as to why I lost most of my hair for this. :roll:
Kind regards,
Ettore Arena - Labcenter Electronics.
SparkyChris
Unlicenced User

Post by SparkyChris »

Hi Ettore,

I guess its always going to be difficult to satisfy everyone with different opinions. Having it a selectable option gives the best of both worlds.
The important thing is that there is a way around it.

P.S. I'm not short of reasons for pulling out my hair either :roll:

Thanks,
Chris