Method of transmitting and receiving using compim without a simulated microcontroller?

Discussion on both general simulation and Proteus VSM microcontroller simulation.
RobinF
Professional User

Method of transmitting and receiving using compim without a simulated microcontroller?

Post by RobinF »

I was hoping to try some pretty basic HIL style stuff by communicating with a raspberry pi or arduino through the compim component, i want to send and receive the current analogue voltage at certain nodes but i'm not keen on having the overhead of a simulated mcu. Is there any current way to achieve this? Maybe a mixed signal component that could transmit an analog state over serial?
Worst case i could try and make my own VSM component to do this but i was thinking there might be a simpler method
Ettore
Labcenter Staff

Re: Method of transmitting and receiving using compim without a simulated microcontroller?

Post by Ettore »

I think I've never heard of adc part featuring rs232 as an output interface to send analogue converted data.

You might possibly try with Modelling Primitives in the library, from Mixed mode for ADC and Digital Gates and Counters for the serial section circuitry. Indeed a VSM component made on your own would be the most elegant solution.

However I think that using a small PIC16 or PIC18 from Proteus library - if you have licence for those families - driven with 1 to 4MHz clock would use less than 20% or your simulation resources. It all depends by baud rate and acquisition rate.
Kind regards,
Ettore Arena - Labcenter Electronics.
RobinF
Professional User

Re: Method of transmitting and receiving using compim without a simulated microcontroller?

Post by RobinF »

Ok thanks for giving some clarity, i don't currently have access to the compim component, would this be included in PIC/Arduino VSM packages? Or ideally, I could utilise the virtual USB component
Ettore
Labcenter Staff

Post by Ettore »

As far as I know the compim component authorizes along with the peripheral license keys which are provided, in turn, when you purchase at least one of the VSM microcontroller (MCU) families (Arduino, PIC, AVR, etc). Similarly, the virtual USB work not stand-alone but it is provided for those MCU variants that support it, for example some PIC18 devices, or PIC16 (PIC16F1459), etc.

If you don't have any MCU family purchased then many parts (ADC, DAC, digital POT, etc.) including compim are not accessable to you. If that's the case you can get some VSM bundle for MCU families or - just in case of limited budget - one of the VSM starter kit: there is one for PIC (PIC16F84A, PIC16F877 and the PIC18F4520).

Should you are interested you can drop a mail to support@labcenter.com to Dave or Jon and request for the better quotation.
Kind regards,
RobinF
Professional User

Post by RobinF »

ok interesting, so the usb component wouldn't work with a custom vsm component but the compim component would?
Ettore
Labcenter Staff

Post by Ettore »

AFAIK the USB simulation works very close to Windows kernel using TCP/IP connection to Proteus USB Driver.
Kind regards,