Manual Editing

Discussion on the PCB Layout module of the Proteus Design Suite.
Loveny
Professional User

Manual Editing

Post by Loveny »

Hi,

I have to say, manual editing IMO is just getting worse and worse. It is very frustrating when dragging a via or track segment when Proteus decides to move other segments of the track such that they short out other tracks! I have no idea what settings I am supposed to have the grid lock etc. but if we go back a few versions track editing worked fine.

I appreciate you may be changing things for new features, but I design manually and use a grid. The new features are ruining this mode of operation, to the point where I may have to consider an alternative. Very disappointing :(

Maybe it's just me, so it would be good of some other experienced users would offer their opinions on the manual editing, is it getting worse, or am I just not using it the correct way?

Thanks,
Jon
David
Site Admin

Re: Manual Editing

Post by David »

Hi John,

We believe that in 8.16 we have made this better. Can you please install if you can - i.e. not in the middle of a production project, and if you still find it hard to use, please let me know and send me an example of what you are trying to do and can't. I can then pass this to the dev guys to make it better. Thanks.

Regards,
Dave.
Loveny
Professional User

Post by Loveny »

Hi,

Manual editing is still very frustrating. If I drag a track segment which is connected to a via, the via moves with the drag (and often 'straightens out' attached segments on other layers causing DRCs). Is it possible to disable this? If I want to move the via I will drag the via, not the track segment.

Thanks,
Jon
Loveny
Professional User

Post by Loveny »

Another question, how do I enable snap to grid when placing tracks (not editing)?
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Hi Jon,

Can you send me your project with an indication of which track causes your issue? In 8.17 SP1 when I drag a track with a via on it the dragging stops at the via.

Snap to grid is always on when actually routing - it's just very subtle. The smaller the grid the harder it will be to see if it has snapped to the grid point.

Regards,
Dave.