I2C debugger and I2Cslave component

Discussion on both general simulation and Proteus VSM microcontroller simulation.
picchiedi
Professional User

I2C debugger and I2Cslave component

Post by picchiedi »

Hello.
As enclosed, I'm trying to simulate a circuit with PCF8566 LCD driver.
I know there's no model, that's why I would limit myself to simulate only the I2C communication.
My question is:
- how can I set up I2C debugger, in cases, as this one, where I have a device address (0x7E) and also a device subaddress(0xE0)? How can I simulate the Acknowledge...?
- what's the purpose and use of I2CSLAVE component (I found no explanation in the documentation)?

Many thanks for a kind explanation/suggestion.

Regards
Attachments
test LCD drive with PCF8566 e htc.pdsprj
(28.28 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Ettore
Labcenter Staff

Re: I2C debugger and I2Cslave component

Post by Ettore »

In the PCF8566 the subaddress is just a particular command you can send from the five available. The generic I2C protocol is shown in the datasheet. Because such the device is write-only, you won't need predefined sequences to send back. Unfortunately the I2C debugger will simulate the acknowledge on slave address matching only. You can't acknowledge by subaddress command (A0, A1 an A2) as this is managed directly from the PCF8566 internal structure on matching the hardware subaddress. Selecting which one bit (ack or nack) is not an option with I2C debugger.

The I2CSLAVE primitive is not documented as it is for internal use only. We use it when creating new models of I2C devices in slave mode. How to use and how to create new model is beyond the purpose of this forum.
Kind regards,
Ettore Arena - Labcenter Electronics.
picchiedi
Professional User

Re: I2C debugger and I2Cslave component

Post by picchiedi »

Thank you Ettore, for your kind clarification.

Regards.