Lost PCB layout

Discussion on the PCB Layout module of the Proteus Design Suite.
yves-michel

Lost PCB layout

Post by yves-michel »

Hello all,

I have lost the PCB layout but still have the schematic. I have still, the files I have created with Gerber though. My question will it be possible to get back my PCB layout using those files and how it could be done. I have Proteus 8.12.

Cheers,

Yves
Tom S
Site Admin

Re: Lost PCB layout

Post by Tom S »

Is your project a multi-board design? Do you have a backup file that may contain an older version of the layout? It is not possible to recreate the layout from the Gerber output.
yves-michel

Post by yves-michel »

Thank you Tom,

No backup I have by mistake copy the missing Layout project :( over the backup. No it wasn't a multiboard design. Fortunately I have the pdf file of the layout and the schematic so it is not all lost just I was planning to do some modifications so I will have to create a new layout.

Cheers,

Yves
Tom S
Site Admin

Post by Tom S »

Do you think this layout loss is due to accidental deletion or an application malfunction?
yves-michel

Post by yves-michel »

Hello Tom,

It was my mistake deleting a new files instead of the old ones and I noticed far too late to recover the deleted one :(

Regards,

Yves
dansagenius
Professional User

Post by dansagenius »

I too have a similar problem with the "MULTIBOARD" method.
I spent best part of the day working on a rear panel which was part of a three board project (Mother board, Front Panel and Rear Panel). Everything was saved at regular intervals and I definitely done a manual save before before the project was closed.
This morning I have the Mother board but the Rear panel has gone. This is so annoying!

I have noticed that while flipping between boards using the tap at the top of the toolbar can be very clitchy and does require a couple of attempts to get the boards to reload.

I have not yet tried the back-up copy that is auto generated by Proteus but I fear today will be a direct repeat of yesterday.

Can we have some help with this please!
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Hi,

All manual saves will produce a copy of the project before the save, can you load your last saved project (not Autosaved) in the Project Backups folder of your directory (by default). See if your last saved project has the PCB boards?

Regards,
Dave.
dansagenius
Professional User

Post by dansagenius »

Following on from this problem which was aired back in December 2021, I decided to go back to the single-board-single-project method as I really did not want to loose other layouts in the Multi-Board function.
Just recently (May 2023) I decided to give the multi-board a try again in the hope that maybe the many update releases would have solved the problem.
Unfortunately this seems not to be the case. My most recent five part multi-board project design has again lost four of the five layouts. This is so B###dy annoying.
The project has kept the schematics for each of the layouts but that's it.
I have tried to recover from the back-up and auto-saved files but as there have been many auto-save and manual save actions, the early back-ups have been over written as the system settings has been set to only 10 maximum back ups.
I had not noticed that the 'other' boards had disappeared as I was working on the main number 1 board. It was only when it was time to generate the Gerber files I noticed everything gone.
It appears that I have lost about 4 days work as the four lost layouts will have to be done again.
I shall not be using the Multi-board function ever again which is a great pity as it was very handy to flick between each schematic/board very quickly.

Please could I request some support with this.
Thank you.
(Version 8.16 SP0)
David
Site Admin

Post by David »

Hi Dan,

Do any of the backups or Autosaves contain the other 4 boards? Can you email me your latest file to support@labcenter.com, thanks.

Regards,
Dave.
dansagenius
Professional User

Post by dansagenius »

Hi Dave.

I went through each of the backups/auto saves in chronological order and unfortunately it appears not. System Settings was set to Maximum of 10.
I am in the habit of manually saving at regular intervals so my guess would be that they have all but been written over.

I will contact you via email as requested.

Thank you.