Simulation of a serial data trap

Discussion on both general simulation and Proteus VSM microcontroller simulation.
cmaxwell
Professional User

Simulation of a serial data trap

Post by cmaxwell »

Good evening gentlemen,

I'm embarking on a design of a serial data trap, which I expect to base around a PIC part.

I have a couple of questions about simulating this design.
***************First question:
I have a level 2+ design package available to me at one of the companies that I consult for, which has the PIC parts that I'm interested in, in its library.

At home, I have a starter kit, updated to the latest revision and the advanced simulation features option.

Will either of these packages simulate PIC parts? Or, do I need to purchase the specific model libaries?

*************Second question:
Although I'm fairly experienced in electrical design and ISIS/ARES, I'm a newbie at writing PIC code. The only compiler that I have experience with is the CCS (Custom Computing Solutions) compiler (I have the PCWH version). Assuming that I get question 1 taken care of, will I be able to develop C programs in this compiler and then compile these programs into a file that I can attach to the processor being simulated...Or will I have to learn a new development environment?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Maxwell
Ianr
3rd Party Developer

Re: Simulation of a serial data trap

Post by Ianr »

I also use pic's for all of my new and existing developments and most employ a serial connection one way or another. I only use MPLAB IDE and the ISIS plugin (which is available on the Microchip site) . The compilier outputs a "COFF" file compatable to ISIS and full debugging is avaiable, however! If YOUR compiler doesn't output either an ELF file or COFF file you would have to attach the HEX file to the simulator. In other words if your compiler is compatable with ISIS you will work all in one IDE (Proteus), this is by far the better option! If, on the other hand,it is not compatable., you'll be working in two enviroments and you won't be able to do source level debugging. Just download "Hitech" for pic16) or "c18" for pic18 as they are free and both work with ISIS.
rberek
Expert User

Re: Simulation of a serial data trap

Post by rberek »

I have successfully designed, simulated and built systems using Proteus and CCS C as well as Microchip's C18. As long as you have purchased the VSM models for your microcontroller, it sounds like you are good to go!