Snap to grid editing

Discussion on the PCB Layout module of the Proteus Design Suite.
Loveny
Professional User

Snap to grid editing

Post by Loveny »

Hi,

In the Route Command Centre I have 'Enable Snap when Editing' checked, nothing else is enabled. When editing tracks I suppose technically it does snap to the grid, but it is also very keen to snap off the grid as well i.e. it only snaps to grid if I am very precise with the mouse placement. Also, when dragging tracks it more often than not drops the track on an adjacent grid point, which may be the display lagging my mouse movement. Either way, manual editing is still very frustrating since you introduced the push and shove 'feature'.

Is there another setting which restores the old grid based manual editing?

Also, when dragging tracks/vias, track segments not related to the movement are often adjusted, and then violate the DRC checking. Well... turn on DRC aware routing I hear you say. But I shouldn't need to, if you didn't 'adjust' the track there wouldn't have been a DRC violation in the first place.

Thanks,
Jon
David
Site Admin

Re: Snap to grid editing

Post by David »

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your comments. I would very much like to see a test case where other tracks are moving and cause a DRC error. If you can repeat this, please can you email me the project and a step by step to reproduce, thanks. - support@labcenter.com (with a link to this topic)

What grid settings are you on when you are dragging tracks? The smaller the setting the more accurate it will be. For example F2 (0.5mm / 5th) tends to be a better setting for track editing.

Regards,
Dave.