How to Re-number placed components

Discussion on the Schematic Capture module of the Proteus Design Suite.
p.erasmus
Professional User

How to Re-number placed components

Post by p.erasmus »

Hi Guys

I am sorry for this stupid question however I seem not to find how to re number my components on the schematic I had to remove a few components and now the numbering is a bit strange
and I would like to re number the components :D

Thanks a million for your help
P Erasmus
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Micro Controllers execute your code not your intensions
David
Site Admin

Re: How to Re-number placed components

Post by David »

Hi,

Do you have a PCB layout attached to the project? If you do then use the Automatic Annotator from the Tools Menu in ARES, and this will then re-annotate the schematic and keep them both synced.

Regards,
Dave.
Ettore
Labcenter Staff

Post by Ettore »

Full component re-annotation is an operation that must be done via ARES only in Proteus 8.
However if you have only a schematic without a PCB layout attached then you may use the Property Assignment Tool to reset the REF value of all the schematic parts and then re-annotate all them. In practice you have to:

1) type A on your keyboard. The Property Assignment Tool dialog will open up.
2) Type in the String field REF=?
3) Select in the 'Apply To' area the option 'All Objects' and press OK.
4) Use the Global Annotator to re-annotate all the parts.

Once again this method is strongly to avoid if you have a PCB Layout routed, in the which case use David's advise.
Kind regards,
Ettore Arena - Labcenter Electronics.
p.erasmus
Professional User

Post by p.erasmus »

David / Ettore

Thank you very much for the help . :D
I do have a PCB attached to to the schematic ,I made a note of both methods in my note book to keep this info secure for me
Once again Thank you so much
P Erasmus
Iain
Site Admin

Post by Iain »

There is now a part aware total mode in the global annotator in ISIS, together with a branch scope.

V8.3 Beta 2 ->
p.erasmus
Professional User

Post by p.erasmus »

Hi Iain

Thank you for letting us know about this however what does actually mean in plain english an old man can understand :D
P Erasmus
Tom S
Site Admin

Post by Tom S »

It means you can do full or partial re-annotation from the schematic as a single command, much like you can in Ares. Sub-circuits are also handled correctly, following any sheet offsets. Branch mode would be to re-annotate a sub-circuit only.
dannybeckett
Professional User

Post by dannybeckett »

Hello guys,

One of the design engineers I work with was trying to re-annotate the reference designators on his design in ISIS, using the global annotate function.

Firstly, the global annotate does not work as you'd expect, as it does not forcefully rename all the components on the board / branch / sheet selected (nor does it come with the option to do so). You can work around this by setting all the numbers to ? as per Ettore's instruction, but even then, the ordering in which the components are numbered appears random across the sheet (I'm sure behind the scenes there's some component ID logic going on but as you can appreciate that has no relevancy to the sheet as it's drawn).

I'd like to kindly request :
  • "Force annotation" checkbox option in ISIS the global annotator tool
  • "Annotation order" radio box: top to bottom, left to right
Thank you,

Dan
Tom S
Site Admin

Post by Tom S »

Can you elaborate on which components did not re-annotate with Total mode selected? It may be that the new annotation was the same as the old, but you can change the initial count, or better change the sheet Annotator Init property for each sheet first.

In terms of specifying the annotation ordering within a sheet based on sheet position that would not work well with multi-element parts.
It's worth noting that there is PCB layout position based global re-annotation option available.
dannybeckett
Professional User

Post by dannybeckett »

Hi Tom, yes you're right - the components did get renumbered but many of them were given the same identification. When specifying an initial count or numerical prefix, they all change. I am aware of the PCB annotation function, but thank you for mentioning it nonetheless.

Regarding multi-elemented parts, so long as you retain the :A, :B, :C element info from the original annotation, I don't see why position-based annotation would not work well. As soon as you encounter the first element (doesn't matter which letter it is), you assign the position-based number only, to that element and the rest of the elements on the design. You would then ignore the other elements of that part if encountered by the locating function again.

When using the global annotation function, the user expects position based re-annotation - not only because this is how other EDA packages work, but because schematics are inherently structured by their part positions. In it's current form, you are left wondering whether the re-annotation function works properly (if not modifying initial count or adding prefixes), and you have no idea/input on how Proteus is assigning the numbers.

Thanks for the support,

Dan