Automatic Floor Plan

Discussion on the Schematic Capture module of the Proteus Design Suite.
dannybeckett
Professional User

Automatic Floor Plan

Post by dannybeckett »

Hi guys,

Just wanted to submit a feature / upgrade to the floor planning functionality of Proteus that I think would be v useful.

Instead of specifying components to floor plans one by one in the Design Explorer, it would be a lot easier if we had a "floorplan" tool that we could use to draw a border on the schematic, which then is recognised by Proteus and auto assigns those components to that region. Then on the layout side, there's an auto-generated list of placeable floorplan regions.

It would also encourage the designer to create nice readable schematics as they'll get into the habit of zoning their components on both sides. Pic attached for illustration purposes.

Cheers!
floorplan example schem.png
floorplan example schem.png (103.17 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
Tom S
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Floor Plan

Post by Tom S »

Hi

Well you certainly don't need to assign floor planning groups to components one at a time. You could tag/select components to set the planning group value and either use the Property assignment tool with {GROUP=GroupName} applying to globally tagged, or in Design Explorer search by Tagged, then select the entire Group column (or the required entries) and input the required group name to apply it to all selected entries.

That said your layout certainly looks neat and I appreciate that it would automate the process of assigning to floor planning groups.
dannybeckett
Professional User

Re: Automatic Floor Plan

Post by dannybeckett »

Ahh understood, thanks for the clarification Tom! I think having a graphic drawing option would create a more viceral / intuitive experience for the user but your suggestions will definitely work.

Cheers,
Dan