terminal types in simulations

Discussion on both general simulation and Proteus VSM microcontroller simulation.
electony
Professional User

terminal types in simulations

Post by electony »

Hello,
I would like to know what is the difference beetwen terminal types, output, input and default, regarding in the use on simulations multisheets. If I use only default terminals for connect beetwen sheets, the design must works in the same way that if I use output and input terminals?
Thnak you.
Ettore
Labcenter Staff

Re: terminal types in simulations

Post by Ettore »

The pins and terminals types are for net list and report generation purposes. Just as a few of examples, if a net contains only inputs pins an undriven error is generated. Also if an input pin is wired to an output terminal then, again, an undriven error is generated. These errors are discussed to "REPORT GENERATION->ERC Error Messages" section of Proteus Schematic Capture help.

However for simulation purposes, general type terminals can only be used to ensure the correct netlist connections.
A special simulation case is the power terminal type. Such the terminals (POWER and GROUND) perform as ideal independent voltage generators; POWER default to VCC (+5V) and GROUND to GND (+0V). Power terminals cannot be replaced to general purpose ones.
Kind regards,
Ettore Arena - Labcenter Electronics.