ARES, PCB and 3D models

Discussion on the PCB Layout module of the Proteus Design Suite.
chimimic
Expert User

ARES, PCB and 3D models

Post by chimimic »

> perhaps more for ARES team >

Hi,

I began to draw a 3D model for a potentiometer, in Blender.
As it is my first usage with the Blender software, it took me a long time to get an object I can use in Ares 3D viewer. But now it works, even if the objet is very simple and has not a professionnel look. The bases are here ;-)

http://www.sonelec-musique.com/logiciel ... s_lib.html

In Samples directory of Proteus software, is provided a file called picdem2.vml, that is used by picdem2.dsn project file. In this picdem2.vml file, we find some components as Ecap20 that allow 3D representation of a radial electrolytic capacitor, and other useful objects as TO220-3-RA, PRE-THUMB, BUZZER, XTAL18. As these objects are more realistic than basic shapes obtained by default, I copied the picdem2.vml file in the Library directory. So all models contained in this file can also be used for other projects.

If I open the picdem2.vml with a simple text editor, I can see Blender name at the end of the file, just before objects name. Can you tell us if Blender has been used for picdem2.vml file creation ? Not directly, as Blender don't allow export to VML format. But if Blender is used for objects drawing, did you used another "Labcenter internal tool" to make conversion to "multiple-objects" VML file ?

You say (and I understood) that we can use Blender to produce 3DS file that contain only one objet at a time, and yes, it works. But I think it will be very fine if we can save related objets in one same file, as you do for DIP300.VML or DIP400.VML files. My first goal is to make some 3D models for heatsinks, leds displays (seven seg display, bargraphes) and various preset potentiometers. All free, and for community resources, of course ;-)

In advance, thank for your answer.

Best regards,
Remy
JohnC

Re: ARES, PCB and 3D models

Post by JohnC »

Hello there Remy,

3DS files can contain multiple objects and the 3D visualisation tool in ARES will handle this. Blender will only export objects that are presently selected, so you need to select all the objects you want to put in the same 3DS at the same time then export them. Also, if you are using layers in Blender, all the layers with objects you wish to export will have to be selected.

We do use Blender in the creation process of some VML files, which is why you have seen the Blender tag in a VML file. At the present time VML offers no significant features over and above the 3DS format.
Last edited by JohnC on Thu 2007-02-22 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
chimimic
Expert User

Post by chimimic »

Hi John,

thanks a lot for your answer !

Regards,
Remy